Dell Studio 17

Christos Vasilakis cvasilak at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 14:08:06 CDT 2008

Hi there,

I am in the market to purchase a new notebook to replace my old one.
Currently I use Ubuntu Hardy both in work and at home and I would like
the new laptop to be supported under this OS.

I am extremely interested in purchasing the new Dell Studio 17 model. It
has the characteristics I need (option for a big screen 1920x1200, 4GB
memory etc). I heard in the Dell blog that in early August linux will be
supported in the Studio 15n Line. As I have seen in the hardware specs,
there is no much difference between the 15 and 17 line apart from the
eg. wide screen, option for a n wireless lan.

I know the Studio 17 model is not supported out of the box(at least for
now) under Linux. I don't have a problem myself to do the "dirty" work,
download and compile drivers etc. The only show stopper for me would be
that a hardware component is not supported under Linux because no
drivers currently exist. So before attempting to make any purchase
decisions I would like Dell Linux engineers for their opinions.

Thanks a lot for your time and please keep up the good work!

Regards,
Christos