Some more success with XPS ONE

Ramon Gandia rfg8ta at xalaska.com
Thu Jul 24 02:38:01 CDT 2008

I went back to the model=auto to have the sound on the headphone
jack, using my old amplified speakers.

Reason?  Those XPS ONE speakers ... they are garbage.  They distort,
put out a lot of aliased harmonics, just terrible.  Now, my friend
Keith says he can't tell the difference, but I suspect that he
would not be able to tell the difference between a Philarmonic
Opera singer, and his wife singing in the shower.

At least, I know what to do now ...  But I wish one of the drivers
in the list for the ALS262 had a switch for phones/speaker or the
detector for the jack plugged in.  Vista's does, so the hardware is
there somewhere instead of having to edit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.

Ramon
Nome, Alaska USA