Some more success with XPS ONE

Ramon Gandia rfg8ta at xalaska.com
Thu Jul 24 02:16:37 CDT 2008

SOUND:

SYSTEM:   Dell XPS ONE A2010 with Kubuntu 8.0.4.1

Symptom:  Sound only on headphone jack.

Solution:  I downloaded the latest ALSA 1.0.17 driver, and
            recompiled.  I am 99% certain this is not neccessary and
            that the regular Kubuntu driver will work.

            I then edited the file /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base
            and added this line:

            snd-hda-intel model=basic

Comment:   The line is absent initially.  The alsa tools will set
            it to model=auto which keeps the headphone only problem.

BUG:       Now, all sound is on speakers.  Headphone jack does not
            work.  Other models such as "fujitsu" or "hippo" will work,
            but on speakers or phones, not both.  No alsamixer setting
            has so far enabled a choice.  I have some hope for alsactl.

Ramon Gandia
Nome, AK