Sound recording with line-in on Latitude D430

Ian C. Brock brock at physik.uni-bonn.de
Wed Jul 23 14:26:19 CDT 2008

Thanks for the tip. I followed your advice and also bought one. With a bit
of playing around it seems to work.

I used
http://www.linux-user.de/ausgabe/2005/06/078-usb-adapter/index.html
as a guide.

After using a videoconference system, EVO, the microphone did not want to
work in skype and skype tended to hang when I tried to change the device
for Sound In/Out.

I then set up .asoundrc for 2 cards as described in the above link so
that I can reliably set the device number, regardless of whether the
headset is plugged in when I boot. At the last try skype is working again.

I am running Kubuntu 8.04.

Ian