Alsa mixer broken with Gutsy kernel update

ms_whosit ms_whosit at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 19 23:11:34 CDT 2008

I get the error:

ALSA lib simple_none.c:1710:(simple_add1) helem (MIXER,'Master Playback Volume',0,2,0) appears twice or more

alsamixer: function snd_mixer_load failed: Invalid argument

gnome-volume-control now defaults to OSS mixer which kind of works, but with problems (only one of headphone jacks works at a time and it will not let me adjust the volume). Also, Sound Recorder no longer works and I suspect the microphone no longer works, but without Alsa mixer I can't adjust the capture settings.

I am running kernel 2.6.22-15-generic.

thanks!