How to install new BIOS A13?

Tom Chiverton tom.chiverton at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 13:10:54 CDT 2008

2008/7/16 Oliver Zimmermann <o-z at arcor.de>:
> since am am a SuSE-user for ages now, and well familiar with
> rpm-packages, YaST repositories. everything beyond that: I am lost.

I have a Dell server running Fedora, which is also RPM based, and that
can do the same BIOS flashing trick.
The instructions are here :
http://linux.dell.com/wiki/index.php/Repository/firmware so try them.

> Why is it not
> supported by Dell?

Dell have to pick a small sub set of the entire world to support :-)

> If they go with Linux, why not putting a laptop together whose hardware
> works out-of-the-box with the major distributions?

AFAIK they make every effort to push drivers or bug fixes up stream.

--
Tom