Installing GeForce 6 series; Kernel 2.22.24-19-generic.

brett01a4 brett01a4 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 17:11:25 CDT 2008

I have a nvidia 9600 series video card, and the hardware drivers tool
did not recognize it.  To get the driver working I did the following:

The driver will not install if there is an x server running, so
ctrl-alt-f1 to drop to a console.  Then run '/etc/init.d/gdm stop' to
stop the x server.  If you use kde it's the same but kdm instead of
gdm.  At this point try to run the installer you linked above.

I had to install some packages to get this to run.  You need gcc and
kernel-devel I think.  I don't remember the packages exactly, but the
installer will prompt you for them.  You can use 'apt-get search
<packagename>' and 'apt-get install <packagname>' to get these
dependencies working.

Now reboot and look for the nvidia splash screen when x starts back up.

Once you do it  one time, it is really pretty easy.  You will have to
do it again every time you update your kernel, so I would suggest
keeping a .txt help file you can reference from the command line.  Of
course, if you can get the hardware drivers tool to work it should
update automatically.

Good luck!

Brett

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 4:34 PM, Mario Limonciello
<mario_limonciello at dell.com> wrote:
> Don't install the drivers that way....
>
> Ubuntu has a restricted driver manager to do these things for you.
>
> System->Administration->Hardware Drivers
>
> Faryshta wrote:
>
> I tried by restarting the computer on console mode then as root execute the
> this .run file:
>
> http://es.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/173.14.05/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-173.14.05-pkg1.run
>
> Basically appear 2 error, one claimed that I needed to change run level of 1
> to 3, whatever it means, there was a selection of "continue" so I ignore
> that. The second one claimed that my Kernel wasn't the appropriated and then
> the application died.
>
> Thanks to Mario Limonciello his quick answer about my monitor, it seems that
> what is wrong is my Nvdia graphics card.

> --
> Mario Limonciello
> Dell | Linux Engineering
> mario_limonciello at dell.com

"This is about more than me and my dream of doing nothing. This is
about all of us" -- Peter Gibbons