How to install new BIOS A13?

Pastor JW pastor_jw at the-inner-circle.org
Tue Jul 15 10:58:34 CDT 2008

On Monday 14 July 2008 11:55:23 pm O. Sinclair wrote:
> O. Sinclair wrote:
> > Oliver Zimmermann wrote:
> >> Hi!
> >>
> >> There is a new BIOS out for my Inspiron 1525. I have two questions about
> >> this:
> >>
> >> 1. Is it worth updating from A11 to A13? Does anybody did this and has
> >> some experience to share?
> >
> > Bios update:
> >
> > $ wget -q -O - http://linux.dell.com/repo/firmware/bootstrap.cgi >
> > bootstrap.sh
> > $ sudo  bash bootstrap.sh
> > $ sudo aptitude install firmware-addon-dell
> > $ sudo aptitude install $(sudo bootstrap_firmware -a)
> > $ sudo update_firmware
> >
> > this is taken from this link:
> > http://direct2dell.com/one2one/archive/2007/12/05/37446.aspx
>
> As a comment to myself I just did this for the second time on my Vostro
> 1400 (Inspiron 1420) and you just have to do the 2 last lines once the
> software for bios updates is installed. It DOES feel scary to see the pc
> boot with a grey screen that just says "bios updating" but it has worked
> for me both times. Thanks any and all Gods for that.

It is indeed a scary process to update a BIOS but I still have not found a
reason to do it.  Dell seems to have no problems telling us how to do it but
not why, ...at least so far I have not found this info anywhere yet.  My
1525n  has fully updated 8.04 Ubuntu, Kubuntu,and Xubuntu all running
perfectly and I just really need to know what I am doing will be worth the
scare of losing it all.

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n><   PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org