How to install new BIOS A13?

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 01:55:23 CDT 2008

O. Sinclair wrote:
> Oliver Zimmermann wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> There is a new BIOS out for my Inspiron 1525. I have two questions about this:
>>
>> 1. Is it worth updating from A11 to A13? Does anybody did this and has some
>> experience to share?
>>
>> 2. How should I do this? I mean - I have a Linux OS and there is no floppy
>> disk drive to which the instructions for "non-Windows users" refer to. I have
>> an old bootable floppy, but that doesn't help here a lot...
>>
>> Btw, I am running OpenSuSE 10.3 on my machine.
>>

> I dont know about the versions differences, I suggest you check on Dell
> site, tech support. As for upgrading (NOTE this is as far as I know
> related to Ubuntu, if it works on OpenSuse I have no idea)
>
> Bios update:
>
> $ wget -q -O - http://linux.dell.com/repo/firmware/bootstrap.cgi >
> bootstrap.sh
> $ sudo  bash bootstrap.sh
> $ sudo aptitude install firmware-addon-dell
> $ sudo aptitude install $(sudo bootstrap_firmware -a)
> $ sudo update_firmware
>
> this is taken from this link:
> http://direct2dell.com/one2one/archive/2007/12/05/37446.aspx

As a comment to myself I just did this for the second time on my Vostro
1400 (Inspiron 1420) and you just have to do the 2 last lines once the
software for bios updates is installed. It DOES feel scary to see the pc
boot with a grey screen that just says "bios updating" but it has worked
for me both times. Thanks any and all Gods for that.

Sinclair