Factory Ubuntu 8.04 (was Re: Inspiron 1525N notebook ...)

Matthew Geier matthew at acfr.usyd.edu.au
Sat Jul 12 20:53:53 CDT 2008

Brian Lavender wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 02:38:31PM -0400, JP Vossen wrote:
>
>> There's an interesting book and some vids on Youtube by a guy named
>> David S. Platt.  The book is _Why Software SUCKS...and what you can do
>> about it_ and the funniest clip is "Why Software Sucks: Geeks Drive
>> Stick Shift Cars" at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAOTTLQ0rlY.  (For
>> the record, I insist on a stick shift (TL 6-speed), and am bitterly
>> disappointed that a) we now own a minivan *at all* and b) they aren't
>> available with a stick. :)
>>

> 2002 Celica GT-S. 6 speed short throw. :) I just need to change the
> computer to get that extra 600 rpm before redline. 8400 vs 7800.
>
> How many big rig trucks have automatics? None?

 Bad comparison.

 I've just read a thread about this in a railway newsgroup (started by -
'why don't trains use manual transmissions' ?).
 I think the basic consensus is that modern automatics are more fuel
efficient than manual unless the manual vehicle driver is some sort of
highly skilled test driver (Also noted is that most drivers drastically
over rate their own ability), and that at least in Europe, automatic
transmission trucks are now available and used, and they ARE more fuel
effcient than a 'manual'.
 The drivers like to feel more in control so will prefer manual (or
'stick' in US speak), but if it's a fleet purchase organised by managers
and accountants, it's more likely to be automatic transmission.
 It's marketing more than any thing else what is 'preferred'.

 As for people ranting about why isn't Dell shipping 8.04, think about
it - MS does a major OS update every 5 years. Untill Vista came along,
Dell was shipping a more or less identical OS for 5+ years. Yes there
were service packs and other updates, but it all used the same drivers
and the same support packages. Dell wouldn't have had to change much
each time a service pack was integrated.

 Ubuntu does a release every 6 months - releases that are far more
invasive than a MS service packs. New drivers, major GUI updates, etc.
It's a big ask for a niche market to do all the product validation and
support chain changes every 6 months.

 If any thing, once they switch to 8.04, I expect Dell will ship it till
the next 'LTS' release comes out, 8.10 won't even be considered. The LTS
releases would be more in-line with the longevity Dell would expect from
an OS vendor.