new kernel on 1525n - all is well

Tom Chiverton tom.chiverton at gmail.com
Sat Jul 12 10:32:52 CDT 2008

Just a note to say that the kernel update offered today by synaptic
works fine - but once the update was done by synaptic, I still had to
run the correct 'firmwaretool -v --update' command by hand - there was
a brief message to this effect if you keep the 'details' panel of
Synaptic open, otherwise I dunno how you are meant to know it didn't
work.

The warm boot after the BIOS is flashed is a bit scary, because you
get a gray-on-white screen, the fan going at full pelt and no
indication if the process is still going (the screen just says
'updating...'). After a few minutes the laptop shut down by itself,
and the POST screen when I turned it back on shows A13.

--
Tom