Support for new user

Claude Boucher bouchecl at gmail.com
Fri Jul 11 14:23:49 CDT 2008

Ian a écrit :

> Questions:
>
> 1.  How do I set up my keyboard so that the characters typed reflect
> what is engraved on the keycaps?

Depends on which keyboard they set you up with. I thought I asked for
the French Canadian keyboard when I ordered my 1525N (I live in Quebec
too), but Dell sent me a US keyboard instead. That's a small annoyance,
but I can live with it.

Anyway, if you got the French Canadian keyboard and use the default
GNOME environment, go to System > Preferences > Keyboard. Go to the
second tab (it's called Agencements in French) and add the 'Canada'
keyboard layout (do not a variant). It should match the typical French
Canadian keyboard layout Dell uses (the one with dead keys for accents,
cedillas and umlauts). Remove the US layout and close the window, log
out and you should be all set.

> 2.  How do I get music, microphone and webcam going?  All are
> non-functional right now.  I´m relatively illiterate when it comes to
> UNIX command line, and file structures, although I´ll likely come up to
> speed fairly quickly.  Much of the advice I´ve seen on the Internet is
> either incorrect for my software or seems to hang up when I try it.

Check this page
http://www.ubuntugeek.com/install-mplayer-and-multimedia-codecs-libdvdcss2w32codecsw64codecs-in-ubuntu-804-hardy-heron.html
to setup your multimedia. There are other guides, google 'ubuntu hardy
multimedia' to add more software repositories to get stuff Canonical
can't bundle in some countries (cough... south of your current location)
with the official release.

Good luck and have fun!

Claude