Moving from ipw3945 to iwl3945 - incomplete info in the wiki

Claude Boucher bouchecl at gmail.com
Fri Jul 11 13:41:03 CDT 2008

I finally received my Inspiron 1525N earlier this week (yay!) and I've
been busy since then playing with my new toy :)

The Linux Dell wiki has been quite helpful fixing some of the issues for
Gusty, including the sudden wireless connection drops while copying the
install iso from the laptop with the default ipw3945 driver (I've
verified it with nfs and sftp).

I've made the switch to the open source iwl3945 as suggested in this
page
http://linux.dell.com/wiki/index.php/Ubuntu_7.10/Issues/ipw3945_Wireless_Network_Module_Issues
and and copying huge files now works.

However, the answer doesn't address the 'wlan0_rename' problem with udev
documented in Launchpad
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/udev/+bug/183968 . In my case,
I was unable to automount my nfs4 shares on startup while using the
wireless interface agter I moved to the iwl3945 driver (I guess the ifup
scripts are hardcoded with ethX).

Here's what I did to fix the issue and get my wireless card to be
recognized again as eth1, based on the Launchpad bug report.

1- Backup the udev persistent net rules and reboot to regenerate the net
rules (it's not done automatically when you blacklist ipw3945)

$ cd /etc/udev/rules.d
$ sudo mv 70-persistent-net.rules 70-persistent-net.rules.bak
$ sudo reboot

2- edit the newly regenerated rule for the wireless card so it's named
"eth1" instead of "wlan0"

$ sudo nano -w /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

# PCI device 0x8086:0x4222 (iwl3945)
SUBSYSTEM=="net", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTRS{address}=="00:1f:3c:73:80:69",
ATTRS{type}=="1", NAME="wlan0"

Change the NAME parameter to "eth1"

$ sudo reboot

Et voilà! Automounting with the wireless card works fine now.

Could someone with editing privileges on the Dell wiki add this information?

Claude