Support for new user

J. Bruce Fields bfields at fieldses.org
Thu Jul 10 14:41:29 CDT 2008

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 03:26:08PM -0400, Ian wrote:
> Hi, first, I´m not sure if this is the right route to get Dell Ubuntu
> support, but please correct or redirect if I´m wrong.

This is more the place for people to hang out and share problems--I
don't know what formal support Dell (or Canonical) offer.

> I just received my Inspiron 1525N and overall I´m quite happy but a bit
> confused.  I´m willing to invest the extra effort to make the
> transition.  You might say I´m a believer, having used Unix thirty years
> ago and <suffered Windows> until now.
>
> Having surfed a bit about Ubuntu I thought I´d go ahead and upgrade to
> 8.04 which went fine.
>
> Questions:
>
> 1.  How do I set up my keyboard so that the characters typed reflect
> what is engraved on the keycaps?

Could you be more specific?  (Probably the setting you need is somewhere
under System->Preferences->Keyboard->Layouts, but it's hard to know
without knowing the exact the problem.)

> 2.  How do I get music, microphone and webcam going?  All are
> non-functional right now.  I´m relatively illiterate when it comes to
> UNIX command line, and file structures, although I´ll likely come up to
> speed fairly quickly.  Much of the advice I´ve seen on the Internet is
> either incorrect for my software or seems to hang up when I try it.
>
> 3.  What are the best programs to choose?  It seems that the strength of
> Ubuntu may also be a bit of a weakness - the need to chop and change as
> a new version of this or that supercedes an existing favourite.  For
> example is Firefox the preferred Internet browser?  Are there strengths
> when it comes to the Inspiron Ubuntu implementation.

Firefox is probably fine.  If you could describe something specific you
need that it doesn't offer, maybe someone could suggest an alternative.

--b.