Inspiron 1525N notebook not sold in the US anymore?

Brian Lavender brian at brie.com
Thu Jul 10 13:37:15 CDT 2008

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 09:17:09AM -0400, Art Alexion wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-07-10 at 03:12 -0400, Brian Lavender wrote:
> > I see no reason why Dell should rush to push 8.04. It is already
> > supported. It just doesn't come preinstalled. And when it is released,
> > am sure you can download the whole ISO image.
>
> It was released in April (that's the .04 in 8.04).  9.10 will be
> released in October.

These ISO images!

http://linux.dell.com/wiki/index.php/Ubuntu_7.10

I am saying that once Dell has worked through all the issues in their
install, you can download the 8.04 image for your system.

I know 8.04 has been released. I am running it. And... I am sure you may
have seen some issues I worked through. Or, the issues that Dell has
worked through.

http://linux.dell.com/wiki/index.php/Ubuntu_8.04

I just don't understand why wait for Dell to preinstall 8.04 and just
get it, take your 8.04 ISO from Ubuntu, install it, and then work
through the 4 known issues on their web page. The thing I don't
understand is that Dell just doesn't give you the deb package for the
LinDVD player. You have to call support for it. Otherwise, it is a
relatively easy task to install from scratch. My experience has been to
install 8.04 directly from the Ubuntu CD, and then make the updates
specific to my 1420N: modem, Dell's PPA entry, and Wi-Fi LED.

Clearly, Dell is supporting 8.04, so I see no reason to delay until they
start selling them with it preinstalled. That is what this thread is all
about, right?

brian
--
Brian Lavender