Dell, 1525n and the 8.04 LTS release

Pastor JW pastor_jw at the-inner-circle.org
Thu Jul 10 13:20:17 CDT 2008

On Thursday 10 July 2008 10:55:03 am Art Alexion wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-07-10 at 13:31 -0400, Richard Kerver wrote:
> > First, there's nothing to the rumor that Dell withdrew the 1525n -
> > probably just a mistake.  Second, the Dell Linux team continues their
> > good work on the 8.04 ISO and the word is "soon".   I own a 1535n and
> > am very happy with continued commitment and support from both Dell and
> > Canonical.  I'll upgrade to 8.04 when the ISO comes out using the
> > Synaptic upgrade path - the ISO burned to a DVD as the primary line of
> > defense, and reassurance.  For announcement of the release check both,
> > I'd say by August:
> >   http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board?board.id=sw_linux
> >   http://linux.dell.com/files/ubuntu/hardy/iso-images/
> > You guys are awsome!  Thanks.
>
> You may want to try update-manager (gui) or update-manager-core (cli) as
> they are the methods recommended by Ubuntu for 7.10 -> 8.04 upgrades.  I
> personally upgraded 6 machines, using the command line, and can vouch
> that the ones I did with
> $ sudo update-manager-core
> went much smoother than those I did with
> $ sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude dist-upgrade (after editing
> sources.list to replace 'gutsy' with 'hardy')

I agree, I used update manager to upgrade my new 1525n.  I was worried I'd
lose things like LinDVD but since It was a brand new computer I did not have
much to lose I thought as I could just reinstall the ubuntu-dell-reinstall
from the disk.  It is listed as an option in grub.  Anyway, not to worry as
it was totally hassle free!  All done via the net wirelessly.  I did the
upgrade four days after receiving my 1525n and one day after 8.04 was
released!  Dell has the support page for 8.04 at
http://linux.dell.com/wiki/index.php/Ubuntu_8.04 and each of these fixes were
in place in a very timely manner!  Oh and BTW-, two of my associate pastor's
received their 1525n's yesterday and the remaining one shows on his tracker
as currently out for delivery!!  They were all told the almost a month's
delay was due to a battery shortage problem for the 1525.

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n><   PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org