Dell, 1525n and the 8.04 LTS release

Art Alexion art at RHD.ORG
Thu Jul 10 12:55:03 CDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-07-10 at 13:31 -0400, Richard Kerver wrote:
> First, there's nothing to the rumor that Dell withdrew the 1525n -
> probably just a mistake.  Second, the Dell Linux team continues their
> good work on the 8.04 ISO and the word is "soon".   I own a 1535n and
> am very happy with continued commitment and support from both Dell and
> Canonical.  I'll upgrade to 8.04 when the ISO comes out using the
> Synaptic upgrade path - the ISO burned to a DVD as the primary line of
> defense, and reassurance.  For announcement of the release check both,
> I'd say by August:
>   http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board?board.id=sw_linux
>   http://linux.dell.com/files/ubuntu/hardy/iso-images/
> You guys are awsome!  Thanks.

You may want to try update-manager (gui) or update-manager-core (cli) as
they are the methods recommended by Ubuntu for 7.10 -> 8.04 upgrades.  I
personally upgraded 6 machines, using the command line, and can vouch
that the ones I did with
$ sudo update-manager-core
went much smoother than those I did with
$ sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude dist-upgrade (after editing
sources.list to replace 'gutsy' with 'hardy')

--
Art Alexion
Resources for Human Development, Inc.          215-951-0300 x3075
4700 Wissahickon Ave.                                 art at rhd.org
Philadelphia, PA 19144                                www.rhd.org