How to stop wandering cursor in Kubuntu Linux Dell 1420

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 01:23:44 CDT 2008

Larry Alkoff wrote:
> My cursor jumps all over the place in Kubuntu Linux on my Dell 1420 laptop.
>
> I've read about a fix for Ubuntu but can't see how to apply it to Kubuntu.
>
> The fix talks about editing /etc/X11/xorg.conf which I have done
> and
>
> Now, navigate to System > Preferences > Sessions
> and click on "Add". Name it something like "Touchpad Syndaemon", the
> description can be "Disables touchpad while typing", and the all important
> command you need is "syndaemon -i 1 -d -t -K".
>

> There is no such thing as System > Preferences > Sessions in Kubuntu
> and I don't know what that gui thing does.
>
> I'd greatly appreciate if anyone could point me to a fix or just explain
> what System > Preferences > Sessions does in Ubuntu so I could fix it on
> the command line in Kubuntu.

I assume you mean when you use the touchpad and BOY do I recognize that
one. However there are a few remedies.

One: disable touchpad clicking altogether by adding a line to your
/etc/X11/xorg.conf file:
	Option		"MaxTapTime" 		"0"
this line has to be in the Section "Inputdevice" with Identifier
"Synaptics Touchpad". Then use the "click-buttons" instead to click.

Two: download "Touchfreeze" from sourceforge - I dont find it working
but maybe you do
Three: download KSynaptics from the Gutsy repositories and install.
Voila, you have a Touchpad section in System Settings, Keyboard and
Mouse, and can set tapping, sensitivity etc. from there.

It took me a bit of figuring out how to get the package (use the
http://... line from you sources list and then find the gutsy and so on)
but it works perfect. So I am on option 3 in other words.

Regards and good luck,
Sinclair