sound and wifi in open suse 11.0 64 bit

oldcpu oldcpu at opensuse-forums.org
Thu Dec 18 16:26:30 CST 2008

Try working your way through the openSUSE audio troubleshooting guide:

http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:AudioTroubleshooting

Note, to test if your sound is working, I recommend you try copy and
pasting the following into a gnome-terminal or a kde konsole:

speaker-test -Dplug:front -c2 -l5 -twav

you should hear a lady's voice saying "front-left", "front-right" five
times.  Note Linux is case sensitive.

If that does not work, try a shorter form version:

speaker-test -c2 -l5 -twav

If you hear sound (ie if you hear the lady's voice), then please reply
here, let us know this fact, and explain more as to what your sound
problem might be.

Don't forget to install alsa-firmware.

If that does not work, and if you do not hear the lady's voice, then we
need more information to help solve your problem.  To provide more
information, with your PC connected to the internet copy and paste the
following into a gnome-terminal or konsole:

wget -O alsa-info.sh http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-info.sh && bash
alsa-info.sh

When the script completes it will pass you a URL.  Please reply with
that URL here.

Also, please copy and paste the following into a gnome-terminal or
konsole and reply with the output here.

rpm -qa | grep alsa
rpm -qa | grep pulse
rpm -q libasound2
uname -a
cat /etc/modprobe.d/sound

Once I have that information, I believe I may be able to provide helpful
recommendation(s).