back to factory conditions on the Inspiron 1525

Pastor JW pastor_jw at the-inner-circle.org
Tue Dec 16 22:56:44 CST 2008

On Tuesday 16 December 2008 2:59:53 pm sean wrote:
> > 2. Install the linux-backports-modules. In a terminal/console window type
> > sudo aptitude (or apt-get) install linux-backports-modules-hardy-generic
> >
> > the above should sort your issues with wifi-led and sound. If sound is
> > still misbehaving download and install the modem-driver as this installs
> > "on the soundcard". See this:
> > http://linux.dell.com/wiki/index.php/Ubuntu_8.04/Issues/Modem_Does_Not_Wo
> >rk
> >
> > good luck,
> > Sinclair
>
> Hi again,
>
> this is no longer working, I had to redo it a couple of times after
> what I think were kernel upgrades, but now I can't get sound to work
> at all.

If you are running Kubuntu you see the icon in the tray that looks like a
speaker, the kmix screen under the help dropdown menu you find "Hardware
Information", what does it say, exactly?  And is the icon active or does it
have a red X over it?  It does sound like you do not have the backports for
the kernel you are running.  However, the url which gives you all of Dell's
fixes is http://linux.dell.com/wiki/index.php/Ubuntu_8.04 and for sound to
work the modem update HAS to be made even if you don't use the modem.  Your
sound in the laptop goes through it anyway. Mine has always worked perfectly
but I added each of these as they were added to the page.  Doing it now
however means you have to substitute your CURRENT kernel version number for
the one listed in the instructions in each of the commands given.  In a
terminal, typing "uname -a" without the quotes will give you the kernel you
are using.

As to going back to the "pristine", ...the icon on your desktop will do that
BUT you really don't want to do that.  Once you are running properly, there
is a little thing to add which will keep your backports updated to match the
kernel but you should get running first so the so when the next kernel update
comes it will automatically also keep your backports updated.

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n><   PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org