"No Sound" after installing Ubuntu 8.04 on inspiron 1420

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 07:41:40 CST 2008

Georgi Kourtev wrote:
> I had a similar problem. You need to get HDA Intel support for the sound
> to work. After you install it, make sure that you mute and unmute all
> channels and it works.
>
> I still cannot get my microphone working though. I run Kubuntu on dell
> inspiron 1525.

This works on my Inspiron 1420 on Kubuntu 8.04.1:
Just to assist anyone using Kubuntu I finally managed to get the mic
working in Kubuntu, KDE that is, 8.04 version.

Here is how:
1. in KMix choose tab Switches
2. in field "Digital Input Source" choose "Digital Mic 1" for built-in mic
3. in field "input source" set "Mic" (I set in all 3 fields)

If you use the front input mic jack then:
2. in field "Digital Input Source" choose "Analogue Inputs"
3. in field "input source" set "Front Mic" (I set in all 3 fields)

under tab "input" you might have to play around with "volumes" for the
sources