"No Sound" after installing Ubuntu 8.04 on inspiron 1420

Tom & Karen Pino metalsmith at rangeweb.net
Wed Dec 10 09:28:36 CST 2008

If you installed Ubuntu from a Live CD, Ubuntu does not support any
"non-free" software.  You will need to enable all repositories and
download the "alsa" stuff for the sound support you need.

You should have system sounds, at least, right now.  If not you should
right click on you "volume" aplet (looks like a speaker) and "open
volume controls" and "switchs" and see where they are set.  Could be a
problem there.

<http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Hardy>  is a great link for setting
up repositories and your system in general if it was not preinstalled.