Hard Drive Space

Art Alexion art at RHD.ORG
Wed Dec 10 08:44:42 CST 2008

On Wed, 2008-12-10 at 09:07 -0500, James Saveker wrote:
> This is why I purchased the Dell Mini 9 with Windows(TM) installed,
> as
> that model comes with a 16GB SSD.  It was a painless process wiping
> and installing Ubuntu :-)

All of this troubles me very much.  That is, it seems the way Dell
9/Ubuntu is being handled hurts both Ubuntu and Dell.

Why a completely different repository?  On my eeePC, I have a repo for
eee specific stuff and the rest comes from the regular (and regularly
maintained) repositories.

People, like Doris, get a false and negative view of Linux.

We have a fleet of loaner laptops for our employees.  We bought and
tested a number of different brands and models, including the Dell 9,
and seem to have settled on the Asus eee PC 1000.  I remove the default
Xandros distro and install ubuntu-eee.  I create a user with no sudo
rights for borrowers to use, and set OOo to save in MS formats.  I
create a toolbar bookmark in Firefox for our corporate webmail, and
boom, its ready to go, and always up to date.  If they screw up
the /home directory, I just remove the user and create a new one and the
system files remain undamaged.

--
Art Alexion
MIS