Hard Drive Space

Art Alexion art at RHD.ORG
Wed Dec 10 07:56:59 CST 2008

On Tue, 2008-12-09 at 15:48 -0500, doris taylor wrote:
> I recently purchased a dell mini 9 with ubuntu preinstalled. The
> machine has a 8GB hard drive but apparently Ubuntu takes up a little
> over 6GB. Is this normal. I wanted to keep this OS but I may have to
> switch to XP to reclaim some hard disk space.

I just check ours.  There is only 2.5 GB of about 11 GB used by the OS
and applications.

I don't know what you are looking at, but if you run
	df -h
in a terminal, the command will give you the actual disk space usage.

df = disk free and -h = human readable.

Don't worry about things like /proc and /dev and such as they don't
exist on your disk, only in memory.

When I install XP with MS Office, Acrobat and Firefox, XP takes up a
little under 4 GB.  If I add a users profile from their old XP PC, that
generally goes up to 7 GB.  The profile itself, without adding real,
useful data takes up almost a GB with Windows user related nonsense.

--
Art Alexion
MIS