What is functionality for Dell Linux repositories?

oldcpu oldcpu at opensuse-forums.org
Fri Dec 5 14:47:28 CST 2008

I noted the following Dell repository for openSUSE (and for other Linux
distributions) on the internet:
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/isv:/dell:/community/

As a new happy Dell Studio 15 laptop user, who successfully installed
openSUSE Linux on this laptop (with a dual boot of Vista and openSUSE
Linux), I am curious as to the purpose of the applications in this
repository.

As near as I can determine this repos provides support tools for
updating one's BIOS.  I think it also provides applications for making
access to one's Dell PC BIOS easier, ...ie ... I read mentioned that:
"Several Dell-specific hardware features, such as BIOS update, CMOS
Tokens, SMI, hardware probes (temperature, fan, etc) are represented in
the SMBIOS tables".

Is this something recommended by Dell, that a openSUSE Dell Studio 15
laptop user like myself should take advantage of (and install the rpms
on my Dell Studio 15 laptop) ?