No modem after kernel upgrade - again...

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Fri Dec 5 01:26:00 CST 2008

Upgraded my Vostro 1400 to kernel 2.6.24-22 and as usual the modem stops
working.

Earlier this has been related to the llinux-ubuntu-modules package and
if I get the following from konsole:
~$ apt-cache policy linux-ubuntu-modules-2.6.24-22-generic
linux-ubuntu-modules-2.6.24-22-generic:
   Installed: 2.6.24-22.35
   Candidate: 2.6.24-22.35
   Version table:
  *** 2.6.24-22.35 0
         500 http://zw.archive.ubuntu.com hardy-security/main Packages
         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

As can be seen the package is from Ubuntu Kernel Team. Now if I check
for my old, working kernel I get:
~$ apt-cache policy linux-ubuntu-modules-2.6.24-21-generic
linux-ubuntu-modules-2.6.24-21-generic:
   Installed: 2.6.24-21.33Dell1
   Candidate: 2.6.24-21.33Dell1
   Version table:
  *** 2.6.24-21.33Dell1 0
         500 http://ppa.launchpad.net hardy/main Packages
         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
      2.6.24-21.33 0
         500 http://zw.archive.ubuntu.com hardy-security/main Packages

Clearly indicating the package is from Dell. When can I expect the Dell
"version" to show up? I have checked using  both main mirrors and my
local mirrors without any difference.

Kind regards,
Sinclair