Dell Wireless 5520 HSDPA card ubuntu support

Matt Domsch Matt_Domsch at dell.com
Mon Apr 28 19:59:27 CDT 2008

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 08:19:29PM +0200, Dimitar Dimitrov wrote:
>    Hi Everyone,
>
>    I recently bought a Dell XPS m1330 laptop with windows Vista preinstalled
>    and I would like to switch to Ubuntu. The only think that stops me so far
>    is that I can't find a driver for the Dell Wireless 5520 HSDPA card. I ran
>    the Ubuntu 8.04 live CD, but the card was not installed automatically. I
>    googled about card drivers, but no luck so far....
>    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

The 'option' USB modem driver should detect and be used for this card,
as it uses the GSM modem AT command set.  The upstream hal-info
package recognizes it, and NetworkManager 0.7.0 (which isn't in Hardy,
but is in Fedora 9 Preview) will auto-recognize the card and present
you with a device choice in nm-applet.

I'm not sure of the exact steps needed to make it work on Ubuntu,
perhaps one of my colleagues will explain.

Thanks,
Matt

--
Matt Domsch