Ubuntu 8.04 on 1505n

Tom Haddon tom at haddons.net
Mon Apr 28 10:14:06 CDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-04-28 at 10:57 -0400, Art Alexion wrote:
> If there is a 7.10 install that includes the proprietary drivers, but
> not an 8.04, I would install 7.10 and then do a dist-upgrade to 8.04.
> That way you get the drivers and the new distro version.
>
> If you haven't done it before,
>      1. Install 7.10
>      2. Edit /etc/apt/sources.list
>      3. comment out any references to the 7.10 CD
>      4. replace every other reference to 'gutsy' with 'hardy'
>      5. save
>      6. sudo aptitude update
>      7. sudo aptitude dist-upgrade

Er, no...

Instead run "update-manager -d", or just use the update distro button
from within the package manager itself:

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading

This has more details, but this is the preferred way of doing things
rather than messing with apt sources directly - and this way is known to
be a fair amount smarter as well...

Thanks, Tom