Ubuntu 8.04 on 1505n

Raymond Wan rwan at kuicr.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Mon Apr 28 10:08:37 CDT 2008

Hi Glenn,

Perhaps someone from Dell can correct me if I am wrong as I'd like to know.

But with Linux, future versions include previous past drivers [as Scott
suggested].  This is reasonable since the format doesn't change
significantly.  With Windows, two versions (say XP and Vista) have
completely different driver formats so upgrading could break something
since Vista couldn't use an XP driver file.

Also, an Ubuntu/Debian/Fedora/etc. version is just a different
repackaging of software with the software upgraded here and there.
Whether or not you have a different OS depends on whether or not the
kernel was upgraded.  Windows, on the other hand, is a very big change
so a jump from XP to Vista is equivalent to several versions of any of
the Linux'.

Again, I'm speculating and would be happy to hear anyone correct this
generalization of mine.  Thanks!

Ray