Ubuntu 8.04 on 1505n

Art Alexion art at RHD.ORG
Mon Apr 28 09:57:55 CDT 2008

If there is a 7.10 install that includes the proprietary drivers, but
not an 8.04, I would install 7.10 and then do a dist-upgrade to 8.04.
That way you get the drivers and the new distro version.

If you haven't done it before,
     1. Install 7.10
     2. Edit /etc/apt/sources.list
     3. comment out any references to the 7.10 CD
     4. replace every other reference to 'gutsy' with 'hardy'
     5. save
     6. sudo aptitude update
     7. sudo aptitude dist-upgrade
If all goes well, you should then have 8.04 installed with the
proprietary drivers.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jose_De_La_Rosa at dell.com <Jose_De_La_Rosa at dell.com>
To: glenn.e.williams at gmail.com <glenn.e.williams at gmail.com>,
linux-desktops at lists.us.dell.com <linux-desktops at lists.us.dell.com>
Subject: RE: Ubuntu 8.04 on 1505n
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 10:43:53 -0400

You can use the 7.10 image for the 1420n, as it most closely resembles
what’s on the 1505n (in fact, it will be identical), just choose the
image according to your video card (Intel or Nvidia). I can’t comment
for 8.04, but you can check
http://linux.dell.com/wiki/index.php/Ubuntu_8.04 for any future updates.
--
Art Alexion