Ubuntu 8.04 on 1505n

Scott_Purcell at Dell.com Scott_Purcell at Dell.com
Mon Apr 28 09:47:04 CDT 2008

Glenn,

I not one of our engineers or developers, so regard my response as one
from a fellow list-participant trying to help rather than as an
authoritative response from Dell.  But it is my understanding that the
only reason for the custom images for specific systems is to provide
driver support for hardware that is newer than what is in the main
distro at the time of release. But those drivers are always fed back to
Ubuntu for inclusion in future releases so that custom images shouldn't
be needed for later OS releases.

For example, if your 1505n was originally shipped with Ubuntu 7.04 (and
I'm speaking hypothetically here, not specifically), it may have
hardware in it that was so new to market that it was not fully supported
by the included drivers.  So we provided a driver that worked better.
But when 7.10 came out, it should have had that newer driver so a custom
image wasn't necessary -- and likewise for 8.04.

Does that help?  Or is there some other reason you are looking for a
custom image?

Thanks,

Scott