new Hardy 8.04

JP Vossen jp at jpsdomain.org
Wed Apr 23 14:46:48 CDT 2008

> Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 13:43:21 -0400
> From: "J. Bruce Fields" <bfields at fieldses.org>
>
> On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 11:31:56AM -0600, Diego Martinez wrote:
>> I would first like to thank you all again for making my laptop possible, I
>> hope it is working out for you all as well!

Agree.

>> My question today is about the release of 8.04 tomorrow.  What do you all
>> recommend?
[...]

On a similar note I'm looking to buy 4 machines soon, probably 2x
Inspiron 1525N (or maybe 1420N) Laptops and 2x Inspiron 530N desktops.
Any ETA on when Ubuntu 8.04 will ship on them?  I supposed I could just
get 7.10 on them and upgrade, but I'd be a little happier if I can get
factory installed LTS and just leave it.  I've got better things to do
than mess with the H/W and OS; that's why I want to use Ubuntu on Dell
in the first place.  I want it to Just Work, and Just Keep On Working.

> ------------------------------
> Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 12:47:53 -0500
> From: <Jose_De_La_Rosa at Dell.com>
>
> I would recommend waiting a few days to upgrade to Ubuntu 8.04. When
> you upgrade, you may have some issues with sound, which will require
> you to remove some packages. Also, your modem will no longer work,
> but we will make a new driver available as soon as we can.
>
> We will publish these gotchas and new drivers on our Wiki at
> http://linux.dell.com/wiki/index.php/Products/Consumer as soon as we
> can.  In the mean time, please continue to enjoy Ubuntu 7.10!

I'd love to see the details from this thread, and other updates on
http://linux.dell.com/wiki/index.php/Ubuntu_8.04!!!

Thanks,
JP