new Hardy 8.04

Jose_De_La_Rosa at Dell.com Jose_De_La_Rosa at Dell.com
Wed Apr 23 12:47:53 CDT 2008

Diego,

I would recommend waiting a few days to upgrade to Ubuntu 8.04. When you upgrade, you may have some issues with sound, which will require you to remove some packages. Also, your modem will no longer work, but we will make a new driver available as soon as we can.

We will publish these gotchas and new drivers on our Wiki at http://linux.dell.com/wiki/index.php/Products/Consumer as soon as we can.  In the mean time, please continue to enjoy Ubuntu 7.10!

Jose De la Rosa
Dell | Linux Engineering
http://linux.dell.com <http://linux.dell.com>

From: linux-desktops-bounces at dell.com [mailto:linux-desktops-bounces at dell.com] On Behalf Of Diego Martinez
Sent: Wednesday, April 23, 2008 12:32 PM
To: linux-desktops
Subject: new Hardy 8.04

Dear Dell Linux,

I would first like to thank you all again for making my laptop possible, I hope it is working out for you all as well!

My question today is about the release of 8.04 tomorrow.  What do you all recommend?  I recall some discussion awhile back about the Intel graphics card problem, and that is now repaired in the 8.04 if I recall correctly.  Are the other (if I remember very small tweaks) hardware fixes also ready to go in the Hardy Heron release tomorrow?

Should I just allow for the auto-upgrade? (I have the US 1420N version, without the cam and DVD burner, and I have the Intel graphics)

Thanks so much!

Diego