E510 running 64 bit Gutsy crashes with more than 4GB of memory

Phil Brothwell p_brothwell at mcttelecom.com
Tue Apr 8 20:52:22 CDT 2008

Hello,

I have a pair of E510s dual-booting 64bit Ubuntu Gutsy and XP Media
Center.  With 4GB of RAM, or less, both operating systems run fine.  Put
in more than 4GB of RAM and Gusty crashes on startup.  The version of
memtest installed with Gutsy also crashes when I scan all of the memory
at once but reports no errors if I scan each memory module by itself.
The 64 bit Gutsy Live CD crashes too.  XP runs fine with more than 4GN
installed but being a 32 bit OS it won't see or use the extra memory.

The BIOS is A07 and has always reported the correct amount of memory.  I
suspect that these computers have the "BIOS allocating PCI memory in a
reserved area" issue that I've read about.  Is this true?  And if so, is
there anything I can do to get Gutsy, and/or Hardy when it is released,
to work with more than 4GB of memory?

Thank you,
Phil Brothwell