32 or 64 bit on DELL INSPIRON celeron

Tim Small tim at buttersideup.com
Sun Apr 6 13:25:48 CDT 2008

Sven Boden wrote:

> If you run the 32bit version with 1 or 2Gb you won't lose memory, if
> you run 4Gb you will loose a little bit of usable memory.

I have found that the amd64 code runs about 10 to 20 percent faster than
i686, due to the extra registers available with the 64bit instruction
set....

The only down-side to running 64bit Linux these days is less
availability of closed-source binary-only software (flash, skype,
acrobat reader) etc.  So if you care about those pieces of software,
then there is a bit of irritation to running them on a 32bit install
(extra 32bit libraries present in memory use more RAM etc.).

Another good reason to ditch the closed-source rubbish, if you can....

Cheers,

Tim.