32 or 64 bit on DELL INSPIRON celeron

Damon L. Chesser damon at damtek.com
Sat Apr 5 09:48:17 CDT 2008

Biot Cyrille wrote:
> OK thanx;
> When I'll install DEBIAN I'll try with a 64 BIT, I'll see, but I think that's today there's a lot of applications for 64BIT
> There're 3 weeks, I've installed  a amd64 kernel on a XPS and there was no problems.
> I think if the processor support 64 BIT, we must install 64 version to have the more stable system (architecture 64BIT need a 64  kernel as possible)
>
> cheers, Cyrille
>
> On Sat, 05 Apr 2008 22:46:21 +0900
> Raymond Wan <rwan at kuicr.kyoto-u.ac.jp> wrote:

Biot,

This is simply no so.  32bit OS will run very stable on a 64bit
architecture.  You simply will not partake of all of the machines
abilities (fatter pipes, quicker execution for code written in 64bit
mode, access to more RAM), however you will experience a performance
boost all the same.  Now if you are like me, you want to install a 64bit
OS because you can:  it is the future and I did pay for that extra
32bits.  This has nothing to do with stability.

HTH

SNIP

--
Damon L. Chesser