32 or 64 bit on DELL INSPIRON celeron

Raymond Wan rwan at kuicr.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Sat Apr 5 08:46:21 CDT 2008

Hi Sven/Cyrille,

Sven Boden wrote:
> I also run 32bit (K)ubuntu on a Dell with AMD64 chip (using the
> original Kubuntu release, not the Dell remix). I tried the 64 bit
> version as well and the 32 bit version seems to be more stable than
> the 64bit also on a 64bit capable chip (more people use the 32bit than
> the 64 bit probably, so 32bit would be better tested in the wild).
>
> If you run the 32bit version with 1 or 2Gb you won't lose memory, if
> you run 4Gb you will loose a little bit of usable memory.

Ah, right...I had forgotten something -- thanks Sven.

At least on Debian (not sure about Ubuntu), the 64-bit  version is
missing some things that the 32-bit version had.  Just over a year ago,
I think the 64-bit version of Debian was missing OpenOffice, but that
has since been rectified.  Now, the only thing that bothers me is that
Debian Etch 64-bit doesn't seem to have Flash...so I can't view any of
those flash-enabled web pages.  I believe to get it, you need to go to
etch-backports.  I haven't bothered looking so I don't know what the
current situation is.

Aside, but I was running Win XP 64-bit once and needed to install
drivers for a printer.  Downloaded it from the
manufacturer...self-executable...great!  Yup!  It was a 32-bit
executable.  Luckily, it is just an archive, and I can run Winzip to
open it...but yes, the world hasn't moved to 64-bit yet so you will get
some annoyances but I hope they won't last as more and more 64-bit
machines are released.

Ray