32 or 64 bit on DELL INSPIRON celeron

Sven Boden svenboden at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 5 08:10:25 CDT 2008

> Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2008 21:52:58 +0900
> From: rwan at kuicr.kyoto-u.ac.jp
> To: biot.cyrille at wanadoo.fr
> Subject: Re: 32 or 64 bit on DELL INSPIRON celeron
> CC: linux-desktops at dell.com
>

> Hi Cyrille,
>

> Biot Cyrille wrote:
> > This week I'll install a debian etch, I'll test with amd64, what do you think about this ?
> >

> I'm not 100% sure as I did this a long time ago with Debian, but I think
> if you boot the AMD64 version in a 32-bit machine, it will fail and tell
> you that the architecture is different.  You can install 32-bit on a
> 64-bit machine, and no, I don't know why your Dell machine came that way.
>
> My point is, I think you won't have anything to lose for trying AMD64 of
> Debian...it will not allow you to complete the install, so [as far as I
> can tell], you won't do harm to your machine and it won't go as far as
> erasing your Ubuntu.
>
> Someone correct me if I am wrong...
>
> Ray

I also run 32bit (K)ubuntu on a Dell with AMD64 chip (using the
original Kubuntu release, not the Dell remix). I tried the 64 bit version as
well and the 32 bit version seems to be more stable than the 64bit also
on a 64bit capable chip (more people use the 32bit than the 64 bit
probably, so 32bit would be better tested in the wild).

If you run the 32bit version with 1 or 2Gb you won't lose memory, if you run 4Gb you will loose a little bit of usable memory.

Regards,

Sven