32 or 64 bit on DELL INSPIRON celeron

Raymond Wan rwan at kuicr.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Sat Apr 5 07:52:58 CDT 2008

Hi Cyrille,

Biot Cyrille wrote:
> This week I'll install a debian etch, I'll test with amd64, what do you think about this ?

I'm not 100% sure as I did this a long time ago with Debian, but I think
if you boot the AMD64 version in a 32-bit machine, it will fail and tell
you that the architecture is different.  You can install 32-bit on a
64-bit machine, and no, I don't know why your Dell machine came that way.

My point is, I think you won't have anything to lose for trying AMD64 of
Debian...it will not allow you to complete the install, so [as far as I
can tell], you won't do harm to your machine and it won't go as far as
erasing your Ubuntu.

Someone correct me if I am wrong...

Ray