Dell Optiplex 755's with Ubuntu 7.10 (QUad Core Systems)

Raymond Wan rwan at kuicr.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Thu Apr 3 23:40:17 CDT 2008

Hi Ryan,

Ryan West wrote:
> We have about 4 of them in house, and are debating whether to roll out
> to 100+ people or not.  However, everything is working fine w/ these
> systems except one component.....Sound.
>

> I have been trying for 3 weeks to get soundworking with:

A long shot, but does the user have permissions to hear sound?  Can you
hear sound if you log in as the root user?  Have you tried both MP3 [or
some file] sound and CD sound (the former requires decoders to be
installed; the latter of which requires permissions to use the CD).  At
some stage, all of these things have stumped me before in Linux...

Ray