Dell 1420n and Load_Cycle_Count

hemant gethemant at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 19:08:44 CST 2007

Its sure as hell a fussy thing.

But for my two months old, dell inspiron 1520, Load_Cycle_Count is
105784.. which I presume is pretty high. By this rate its just gonna
see, one more season.

So, the question is, "Are Laptop hard drives, supposed to last just 1
year?" ( In my case at least, which is center of universe for me).

I am not sure about the solution although, because Ubuntu/Dell don't
even consider it as a problem. Thats fine with me, we are using
GNU/Linux right!!!

May be all these users are just paranoid.

Anyways, here is what I did:

I downloaded and installed ubuntu-laptom-mode program through apt-get
and set CONTROL_HD_POWERMGT = 1.

Since, I did this, I am sort of ok. and right now,  Load_Cycle_Count
is 105786. Temperature of the hard disk also appears fine. But I am
not sure, if this DID solve the problem.

There you go...