Gutsy ISO release from Dell? Should I upgrade anyway?

Shishir Jha shishirjh at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 12:40:33 CST 2007

i have personally been using Gutsy for almost a month in my Vostro 1500
which is a bit different that 1420N, but else than the audio for which i
needed the linux backport headers, everything is running perfectly out of
the box. Even my graphics nVIDIA 8400 ran out of the box. So I dont see any
reason for not upgrading to gutsy.

Yes, I still cant do recordings and use the digital microphone in gutsy or
for that matter in any Linux distribution.

On 11/19/07, gnulinux <gnulinux at comcast.net> wrote:

> J. Bruce Fields wrote:
> > On Fri, Nov 16, 2007 at 01:33:50PM -0500, Tim Anderson wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >> I've got a 1420N that is still running Feisty.  Does anyone know a) of
> >> any reason not to upgrade to Gutsy  and b) if there's any idea if/when
> >> Dell will release a Gutsy image of their own?
> >>
> >> I've looked at the Ubuntu forums, Launchpad and Dell's wiki - there are
> >> a few things that seem minor, but I don't see too many people actually
> >> doing an upgrade so it's hard to know what to do.
> >>
> >> I'm a bit nervous about upgrading because of the precedent set by the
> >> video driver crashes (that happen for 3D stuff) which happened to me
> >> right out of the box.
> >>

> > Hello,
> >
> I thought I would add my thoughts. Personally I have installed many,
> linux systems on various hardware combinations. I believe that the
> question you asked should be, "Is there any reason TO upgrade TO Gutsy
> at this time?" Depends on your personal wants and needs. Do you like to
> be cutting edge and try out the new Ubuntu releases and maybe fix
> something or do you have a situation where your computer needs to be a
> stable work horse. I also have a 1420N, it really is a wonderful stable
> machine with very few small glitches and that is what I need. Oh the
> other hand at times I am a bit cutting edge and have tried the
> development version early. There was a lot wrong then so I tried out the
> dell restore and it worked flawlessly. Because I need a machine that
> works dependably, I will keep it that way and follow Ubuntu a step back
> from first releases. I think dell is doing it right so far with slow and
> dependable. Feisty is stable, Gutsy is first release and although I have
> Gutsy on most workstations now Feisty is still the laptop OS for me. YMMV
>
> Have fun.

Shishir Jha
EPC 1970,GPO 8975,
KTM,NEPAL