Linux on Dell Dimension E520

Sander Huijsen sander at sandyman.net
Sun Jan 7 02:52:39 CST 2007

Hi,

I have an update. I fixed my problem by doing this:

I physically swapped the Windows and Linux drives: the Windows drive goes
to SATA4 and the Linux drive goes to SATA1. Then I install Fedore Core 6
and put the GRUB bootloader on the first sector of /dev/sda (Linux drive
on SATA1).

In grub.conf, I put the following in order to boot to Windows:

title Windows XP MCE
        map (hd0,0) (hd1,1)
        map (hd1,1) (hd0,0)
        rootnoverify (hd1,1)
        chainloader +1

This will make sure that the Windows disk is actually seen as C: in
Windows. My dual-boot system is now working just fine with a single
exception: if I choose 'shutdown' in Linux, it doesn't actually power off.
It makes a remark about the acpi_poweroff function, but that's it. I have
to switch it off manually. Does anyone know how to solve this?

Sander