Optiplex 320: anybody install any distro to disk?

Stu Derby studerby at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 18 17:10:43 CST 2006

Thanks, that was the clue I needed, I've got myself up and running on a
distro, on the 3rd try.

Here's notes for everyone else.

Ubuntu 6.10 - (alternate CD, not LiveCD) hangs booting installer
kernel, no matter what

OpenSUSE 10.2 - booting the installer with the added parameters
"pci=nomsi vga=788" got me into and through the installer, but the
installation hangs on boot; I'm pretty sure SUSE uses Grub, so I think
it's the same pain as Fedora

Mandriva Free 2007 - WORKS!! had to boot the installer with
"pci=nomsi", but after that, everything is routine.. (When I try to
burn the third cd ISO, my burner says it's a DVD, not a CD, but
apparently only the first CD is required, the others are optional).