Optiplex 320: anybody install any distro to disk?

Ben Prew btp at rentrak.com
Mon Dec 18 14:03:11 CST 2006

You can get fedora to see the disks if you add

pci=nomsi to the boot parameters

but then you have to install lilo, and recompile your kernel with built-in SATA support after you're done... it won't boot with grub for some reason.

--Ben

>>> Stu Derby <studerby at yahoo.com> 12/18/06 11:54 AM >>>
Y'all,
  I've been trying to get a kernel up and running on an Optiplex 320
and have so far been unable to get any distro to boot from disk.

  Most distros I've tried either hang in the installer, can't find the
disk (during installation or after), or can't find the keyboard/mouse
during installation.

  The best I've been able to do is boot from the Knoppix 5.0.1 LiveCD;
that distro works fine and can even do user storage to disk, but if I
try to actually install the distro to disk, the installation process
completes but the system hangs on boot.

  Everything suggests that there's some sort of driver or boot
configuration voodoo that will make this work.

  Any clues?

- Stu