Optiplex 320: anybody install any distro to disk?

Stu Derby studerby at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 18 13:54:15 CST 2006

Y'all,
  I've been trying to get a kernel up and running on an Optiplex 320
and have so far been unable to get any distro to boot from disk.

  Most distros I've tried either hang in the installer, can't find the
disk (during installation or after), or can't find the keyboard/mouse
during installation.

  The best I've been able to do is boot from the Knoppix 5.0.1 LiveCD;
that distro works fine and can even do user storage to disk, but if I
try to actually install the distro to disk, the installation process
completes but the system hangs on boot.

  Everything suggests that there's some sort of driver or boot
configuration voodoo that will make this work.

  Any clues?

-Stu