Linux on Dell Dimension E520

Jordan_Hargrave at Dell.com Jordan_Hargrave at Dell.com
Tue Dec 12 23:38:29 CST 2006

Sander,

You should also be able to boot the 2nd drive using the Boot menu (F11 or F12 during BIOS POST).
If you are wanting GRUB to dual boot Windows XP and Linux, there are several HOWTO documents available such as:
 http://www.geocities.com/epark/linux/grub-w2k-HOWTO.html

--jordan hargrave
Dell Enterprise Linux Engineering

-----Original Message-----
From: linux-desktops-bounces at dell.com on behalf of Jose_De_La_Rosa at dell.com
Sent: Tue 12/12/2006 10:12 PM
To: sander at sandyman.net; linux-desktops
Subject: RE: Linux on Dell Dimension E520

You may have to change your bootable partition (/boot) which is where
GRUB resides. Boot with a rescue CD (such as Knoppix) and use the fdisk
utility, use option "a" to turn on the bootable flag on whichever
partition /boot resides, make sure you only have it turned on for one
partition (not sure what happens if you have more than one, guess it
will boot from whichever the system finds first).

So, you should have something like:

$ fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 250 GB, xxxx bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 26532 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

/dev/sda1   *           1       26532      104391   7   HPFS/NTFS

Disk /dev/sdb: 250 GB, xxxx bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 26532 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

/dev/sdb1   *           1          13      104391   83  Linux
/dev/sdb2              14       26532   213013867+  83  Linux

Try it, you can always change it back if it doesn't work.