FC6 will not boot after install

Ben Prew btp at rentrak.com
Tue Dec 12 12:07:41 CST 2006

I've got a Dell Optiplex 320, with the ATI sb600 chipset and SATA controller in it, and I'm having some problems getting the system to boot after install.

I was able to get the install cd to recognize the drives with the parameter:

pci=nomsi

And I'm able to complete the install, and partition the drive, and everything else looks ok.

BUT, when I go to boot the system, the grub boot menu comes up, and after I choose my install, it hangs shortly after that, just before it starts uncompressing the kernel, I believe.

The screen looks like this:

Booting command-list
root (hd0,1)
kernel /vmlinuz=2.6.18-1.2798.fc6 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 pci=nomsi rhgb quiet
[Linux-bzImage, setup=0x1e00, size=0x1b94fc]

... and that's it! I've tried adding and removing options, such as all-generic-ide, or acpi=force irqpoll. At this point, I'm not even really sure what its getting stuck on, is it failing to find the kernel? Is it waiting on something else? Are there any logs I can check? Anything?

Any ideas MUCH appreciated.

Thanks

--Ben