Latitude D820 with linux virtualization

Art Fore art.fore at gmail.com
Sun Dec 10 07:34:31 CST 2006

Have been unsuccessful in getting decent winxp guest running under SuSE
Linux 10.2 or FC6. VMWare workstation, server, & player all exhibit the
the same problem, not enough memory to run some program, small ones at
that, and the network is much much to slow. The D820 has 2 GB ram of
which 1 GB is alloted to WinXP VM. When you run convert.exe or
allercalc_setup.exe, then come up with insufficient memory to run the
program. Does not make sense to me with 1 GB as stated by control panel,
system. Firefox installation works though. Also, the WinXP machine will
hang for about 5 minutes at time then come back to life. This happens
much more using two processor than using 1 prcoessor. Since the Intel
program for checking bios comes up with so many failures, I am
suspecting the bios, which I upgraded to A04 with no benefits. Are there
any suggestions on getting virtualization to work properly on the D820.

Parallels will not install on even 32-bit Linux with this machine.

VirtualIron does not support Windows, so there is not much use trying
that.

Xen works, but lacks the video driver to get any decent resolution
display.

Art