Dell E521

Jordan_Hargrave at Dell.com Jordan_Hargrave at Dell.com
Fri Dec 1 14:38:33 CST 2006

I saw some problems, but it may have been due to the KVM+PS2 dongle I was using on it.  There were reported problems with Windows+USB, so most likely this is a hardware issue.

--jordan hargrave
Dell Enterprise Linux Engineering

-----Original Message-----
From: David Siebert [mailto:glwatcdr at yahoo.com]
Sent: Thu 11/30/2006 3:16 PM
To: Hargrave, Jordan
Cc: linux-desktops
Subject: Re: Dell E521

Does SLES solve the USB port issues?

----- Original Message ----
From: "Jordan_Hargrave at dell.com" <Jordan_Hargrave at dell.com>
To: devnull at adc.idt.com; Felix.Schwarz at web.de
Cc: linux-desktops at lists.us.dell.com
Sent: Tuesday, November 28, 2006 12:21:11 PM

Using the kernel command line option 'acpi=noirq' works for installing FC/RHEL on the E521.  SLES10 appears to work properly out of the box.  I have not yet tested other releases on the E521.

  --jordan hargrave
  Dell Enterprise Linux Engineering

Felix,

We are now using 2.6.19-rc5-mm2 and that *seems* to be working, no sound
however.

> devnull at adc.idt.com wrote:
>> We bought an E521 and have similar issues.
>
> I got my E521 yesterday and can confirm some of your issues... :-(

That's too bad. I really like the machine, too bad it doesnt work that
well.
Has anyone at Dell had the chance to install either FC or RHEL on this
machine?

> FC6 ->> 2.6.18-x
>> Install will complete.
>> Broadcom 10/100 card wont work. The OS thinks its a wireless card.
>> I can boot the smp kernel. But I get lots of messages about hogging
>> interrupts.
>
> On my system, the Broadcom card works if I use the standard kernel (no
> XEN, FC6 x64). With XEN, it doesn't work.
I will try this again.

> Did you mention "wireless" because of
> $ ifup eth0
> Error for wireless request "Set Encode (8B2A) :
>    SET failed on device eth0 ; No such device.
Yes.

> I try document other issues (sound with XEN, booting without XEN)
> here: http://www.felix-schwarz.name/Linux_on_Dell_E521_(en)
Thanks.

/dev/null